|John Fiore found plenty of adventure along the Swan crest this weekend - Credit: @fiorejohn1 via instagram|
|Steve and Jonah Brown found plenty of trail in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness - Credit: @srbrownmt via instagram|
|Peder Anderson ran to this magical scene in Hyalite Canyon - Credit @pederanderson via instagram|
|Jeremy Wolf found Lolo Peak to his liking - Credit: @jeremywolfrun via instagram|
|Justin Grigg shows that Ch-paa-qn is runnable to the top - Credit: @jjgrigg via instagram|
Others took it easy in advance of a number of big events happening during the weekend to come. Here's a rundown of some of the Northern Rockies trail running events happening on Saturday:
- Wulfman's CDT 14K, Homestake- Run along the Continental Divide Trail, the race follows a staggered-start time-trial format and seed lists have yet to be posted, but it generally attracts a competitive field of athletes. Expect Nicole Hunt to be near the front. Here's a story we posted about the race last spring: http://www.montanatrailcrew.com/2014/01/want-to-go-wulfin.html
- Trail Rail Run, St. Regis- Offering a number of distances from 50 miles on down, the Rail Run follows a dirt and gravel railroad treating runners to some of the fastest trail running in Montana. There might be some space left so if you want to hop in a last minute race check it out here: http://trailrailrun.com/
- Old Gabe 50K, Bozeman- One of the toughest 50Ks in Montana. Jeff Rome wrote about last year's race here: http://www.montanatrailcrew.com/2014/06/mountain-men-and-their-blankets-old.html Defending Ridge Run champ Peder Anderson is toeing the line.
- Big Horn Runs, Wyoming- A ton of Montanans run these races every summer. The 100 is a classic but all distances seem to offer plenty of challenge. Missoula newcomer Christi Nowak Richards should be among the leaders in the hundred, while Helena's Jesse Zentz makes his ultra debut in the 50K.
- River of No Return, Idaho- I'm running the 50K but they also offer a 108K with a decent prize purse and competitive field. Zach Miller, the subject of last month's trail chat, is in. So is Nick Clark, best known for completing an inspiring Grand Slam of Ultrarunning duel with Ian Sharman a couple of summers ago. Should be an interesting race up front.
Trail Chat: In case you missed it, this month's edition features Corrine Malcolm. Read it here.
Upcoming Events: We received word that Butte's Big Brothers Big Sisters is reviving the original Big Butte Challenge!! Mark your calendars for Saturday, July 18th and come support this great organization. More race details found here: http://www.
buttespissandmoanrunners.com/ Butte%20Races/Big%20Butte/big_ butte.htm If a trail race has been around for 35 years you know it has to be good. And if it has a division for men called the "faster-than-Nicole Club" you know it has to be great. So head to Butte and see if you can take down Tony Banovich's course record from 1984!
Mountain Monday: Group run from downtown Missoula is happening at noon today. Meeting at the Caras Park trout statues and running up the mountain.
Any news to add? Send us a message- firstname.lastname@example.org